Mark says the key to tender squid is to cook it quickly, in hot oil. If it is cooked for too long, it will be chewy. This dish needs to be cooked immediately before serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1. Cut the squid tubes open and lay flat.
2. Using the blade of a knife, gently scrape the very fine membrane covering the squid to rough it up a bit.
3. Score the squid in a criss-cross pattern and cut into strips about 2 cm wide. 4. Combine the flour and spices in a bowl.
5. Toss the squid through, coating thoroughly.
6. Heat the oil in a large pot or a deep fryer to a high temperature (200*C).
7. Fry the squid in small batches to maintain the heat in the oil. The squid should only take 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to turn a light golden brown. If it is over cooked it will be very tough.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartare, or sweet chilli sauce, and green salad.